Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Catcher in the Rye Bread

Jake Parsons
Mrs. Parkinson
English III
10 November 2015
Blog Post Option #1
The article uses the car’s rattle as a symbol to represent the issues someone is going through in their life just as Allie’s baseball mitt represents what haunts Holden. The Daryn Kagan, the author of this article, uses the rattle as a comparison to problems that can make it difficult for a person to function through everyday life. This comparison allows the reader to understand what these problems are like. Only the person suffering through a problem like this will actually know what it is. Others may try to help them, but there is nothing they can do since they don’t understand.
The Second half of this article fits Holden perfectly as he has his own “rattle”.  The problem that plagues him could be one of many things. However, it can easily be narrowed down to, as Kagan phrased it, “The heartbreak you should be passed already.” This in particular applies to Holden as he is still trying to cope with the death of his brother, Allie, years later. He carries Allie’s old baseball mitt around with him as a sort of reminder. The mitt is like the sound the care makes. The actual rattle would be Allie’s death as it is what is preventing Holden from functioning, but the baseball glove is the sound as it constantly reminds him.
            Holden’s rattle is best portrayed in chapter 5 when he is reliving his reaction to the news that Allie had died from Leukemia. On page 50 (well at least for me because all of the books are different and the pages are funky) Holden says, “I broke all of the windows in the garage” and he later goes on to state, “I even tried to break the windows on the station wagon we had that summer, but my hand was already broken and everything by that time and I couldn’t do it.” This shows us the severity of rattle and what a drastic impact it has had on Holden’s ability to live a normal life. If this where something small like he poured cereal and then found out there was no milk and had to pour the cereal back into the bag he wouldn’t have this psycho breakdown. Or maybe he would I don’t know how passionate he is about cereal. A freak-out like this can only be tied to a devastating event such as the death of a loved one.

4 comments:

  1. WOW! This is a good post. Its a lot like my own. I appreciated how you included multiple quoted because it improved your credibility and I believe what you were saying more. Do you think Holden's erratic behavior may be due to his loss of Allie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shrey, I appreciate your post as it forced me to reconsider the causes of Holden's issues in school and what not. I do think his erratic behavior is a result of the loss of Allie because it caused him to break all the windows in the garage. Since you asked, do you think there are any other factors contributing to his behavior?

      Delete
  2. Shrey, I think some of Holden's behavior is due to the death of Allie. The fight between him and Stradlater was in a way started by Allie's baseball mitt. But most of Holdens problems are caused by his sadness and lonelyness. This is why he decides to go to New York. Holden has a lot of problems. Agree or disagree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you pointed out how Holden has his own "rattle." I also like how you showed Holden's reaction to Allie's death and linked it to the glove. My question is, do you think that Allie's death still affects Holden's day to day actions? If so, how much of an affect does it have?

    ReplyDelete